Wondering what the purpose of a rake board is? Well, first, let’s talk about the roof’s rake. Have you ever heard of a rake on a roof? To start, the rake isn’t exactly on the roof. It’s actually the sloped sides of a gable end. Sometimes, you’ll see flat rakes with no overhang. Sometimes it will stick out like an eave. When they stick out, the rake is either closed in with a soffit and fascia or the rake is left open, like you sometimes see on sheds or cottages.
Purpose of a Rake Board
A rake board covers the top edge of siding or it covers the soffit if there is an overhang on the end of the gable. The purpose of the rake board is simply to prevent rain from running behind the siding or to cover the top edge of brick if it’s a brick home. These boards vary in size. For example, a large 1×4 or 1×6 rake board works when there isn’t an eave extending out to an overhang on the gable end. The object here would be for the top edge of the rake board to rest against the roof decking. The bottom edge would cover the top layer of brick or the top of the siding.
CONTACT ENDUREED FOR A CONSULTATION
Interested in roofing an umbrella for your backyard or an entire hotel? We’d love to help you choose the right product for your specific needs.
Check out our synthetic thatch roofing materials now. One is certainly right for you:
- Capetown– A trimmed, coarsely textured, longer reed. Replicates African Yellow Grass or “Cape Reed” that replicates the typical African style thatching.
- Kilimanjaro– A heavy reed replicating a traditional weathered, Tanzanian cape reed roof.
- Somerset– A closely tapered, slightly weathered appearing shingle. Replicates a typical, hand trimmed European thatching.
- Kona– A combination of wide leaf and smaller grass reed. Replicates the look of Hawaiian “Pili Grass” and Asian Alang-Alang grass thatching.
- Dominica– A synthetic palm leaf style thatching. Replicates palm leaves commonly used in tropical regions throughout the world.
- Bali– A finer, loosely tapered, slightly longer shingle designed to resemble the appearance of East Asian grass thatching.
- Viva Series– An especially economical synthetic palm thatch.
We’d love to show you how Endureed can provide you with your perfect synthetic thatch product.