We designed our Kona product replicating, in part, the beautifully unique pili grass. It’s believed that pili grass is indigenous to Hawaii, since it’s native to many other tropical locations. Still, it’s possible that this unique grass was brought to Hawaii by very early Polynesian settlers. At any rate, at this point, pili grass is naturalized to Hawaii as well as many areas in East Asia and the South Pacific.
Pili grass, scientifically known as Heteropogon contortus), is one of 80 grass species believed to be native to the far west American islands. It’s embedded into the culture and history of Hawaii. Europeans called it tanglehead, because the mature seed heads have a tendency to tangle. We prefer the term pili grass though. In Hawaiian, pili means “to cling or stick.” Consequently, some say it’s more romantic to give a loved one a bouquet of pili grass than a bouquet of roses.
CONTACT ENDUREED FOR A SAMPLE OR CONSULTATION
Whether you’re interested in roofing an umbrella for your backyard or an entire hotel, we’d love to help you choose the right product for the job.
Check out our synthetic thatch roofing materials now to find one that’s right for you:
- Capetown– A trimmed, coarsely textured, longer reed. Replicates African Yellow Grass or “Cape Reed” that replicates the typical African style thatching.
- Kilimanjaro– A heavy reed replicating a traditional weathered, Tanzanian cape reed roof.
- Somerset– A closely tapered, slightly weathered appearing shingle. Replicates a typical, hand trimmed European thatching.
- Kona– A combination of wide leaf and smaller grass reed. Replicates the look of Hawaiian “Pili Grass” and Asian Alang-Alang grass thatching.
- Dominica– A synthetic palm leaf style thatching. Replicates palm leaves commonly used in tropical regions throughout the world.
- Bali– A finer, loosely tapered, slightly longer shingle designed to resemble the appearance of East Asian grass thatching.
- Viva Series– An especially economical synthetic palm thatch.
Plus, we’d be happy to show you how Endureed can provide you with the perfect synthetic thatch roofing for your needs. So, call us at 877-784-2824 or get in touch with us online to learn more. You can also view the technical specs on each of our roofing products by creating a free Endureed user account now.